Last week we dove into the takeaways that 2020 gave us, and this week we will add a few more to the list! Despite the historical events that took place, I feel like a lot of good came out as well. We struggled and suffered along the way, but when we shift our mindset to recognize the positives, it shows exactly what lessons we were so lucky to learn through it all!
Here I present to you, 10 (more) things that 2020 taught us…
- You aren’t defined by your day job/career! Being unemployed or having to take time off can be difficult. It can make you feel lost or lacking value. When we are taken from our comfort zone, or the place we feel most productive, it hurts to no longer have somewhere we belong or feel needed. But that does NOT change how important you truly are! That only gives you the fresh opportunity to try out new hobbies you’ve been putting off, or take more time to care for yourself. It will all work out in the end. You’ve got this.
- You CAN do hard things! Don’t throw your hands in the air and give up when life gets tough. Push yourself to be better when you can, and let yourself rest when you need. It’s all about a balance, baby.
- Saving money is non-negotiable! As Dave Ramsey preaches, you should always have an emergency fund. Of course, it’s nice to have wiggle room in your budget, but above all else, it’s so comforting when life-altering situations present themselves (like a pandemic for example). Expect the unexpected and prepare for it! Future-you will appreciate it, trust me! *Personally, I set aside 20% of each paycheck and save it justtt in caseee.
- Learn to say NO! It’s 100% okay to say no to things that do not support you or the lifestyle you are trying to create. You may feel that twinge of guilt right off the bat but trust your gut. Only you know when enough is enough, so don’t feel bad about it!
- Mindset is key! Things aren’t always as bad as they may seem. Focus your head and heart on the positives in each scenario. It’s a refreshing outlook and will bring much more happiness and joy to your daily life, I promise.
- Spread your love! Those 3 little words can mean so very much, so say them! All the time. As much as possible. Tell your family and friends often, you’ll never regret it! Stop acting big and tough and just say the damn thing! You know you feel it and you know you mean it, so practice. “I LOVE YOU!”
- Do what makes you happy! Please for the love of all things good in this world, follow your heart! Whether it’s a trip you’ve been planning, a job you’ve wanted to take, or a friendship you want to make…take that risk! If you don’t, you may lose the chance.
- Prioritize what’s truly important! In the grand scheme of things, we put way too much energy into the wrong factors of life. Readjust your focus and practice putting both your attention and intention towards the more necessary things.
- Take care of your body! It’s the only one you’ve got, so you better treat it with admiration and respect! Boost that immune system and better your habits each day.
- Human connection is so important! We are not a species created to be alone. It’s crucial to have that next level of value in a relationship. Isolation can really take a toll on our mental and physical health, so appreciate every moment you spend with those around you. We never know when it could be our last.
Am I missing anything!? After taking a few weeks to compile the most important things that 2020 had to offer, I feel content moving into the new year with a brand new mindset! Time to soak in each moment as it comes, and go in with an open mind and heart. There’s so much to learn if we’re just willing to try! It’s not all bad, remember that. What did YOU learn in 2020? I want to know!